Portland Studio Engagement Portraits
When Madeline and TJ asked me to do their engagement portraits they had something very specific in mind. They wanted their portraits to be inside a minimal space with great natural light. They also wanted their engagement photographs to be more formal with structured posing and relatively stoic expressions. And they definitely wanted an element of “sexy” thrown in. While these characteristics aren’t typical for my work, I embraced the challenge. We had loads of fun capturing these studio engagement portraits for them.
Three Reasons We Love Studio Sessions
Here in the Pacific Northwest it would be an understatement to say that we have a lot of rainy days. Choosing to have a Portland studio engagement session allows you to do your portraits on any day of the week. Despite what the skies may throw at you. This alleviates any potential problems with wind, rain, harsh unflattering sunshine, cold weather, etc.
You like the idea of indoor portraits but your house isn’t suited for photography. Maybe making your house “photo-ready” stresses you out. Or you don’t have a lot of natural light in your home. Or your house really doesn’t suit your style at the moment. Fear not! A studio provides a space that is designed for photography. The walls are large and blank, there is beautiful natural light to work with, and some studios even include props like sofas, plants, rugs, chairs, etc.
You want a minimalist look that really brings you and your partner into focus. Whether you want to showcase your natural emotions or go for a more stoic vibe like Madeline & TJ, a studio engagement session will cut out all the distractions and help you and your partner shine.
Our Favorite Portland Studio Spaces
Portland is a really creative city which means we have a lot of studio spaces to choose from. Each studio has a slightly different vibe so you can choose the one that best suits the look you’re hoping to achieve. Also, one of the best things about using a studio space, is that you can really make it your own with props and wardrobe. Here are a few of our favorite Portland studio spaces that can be rented for your engagement session:
- Daylight Creative Space – This is a really beautiful portrait studio located in NW Portland. There is free parking and an elevator to access the space. They provide a lot of beautiful props and have two walls of windows that provide both ambient light and direct sun depending on the day & time of your session.
- Tendue – This is a beautiful space in SE Portland with some more traditional vibes. We really love the wall of north facing windows, the paneled walls, and the decorative tile floors. It would be the perfect space for a more formal portrait session.
- The Tabletop Studio – This is a smaller studio space in NW Portland near Chinatown. It’s a very secure old Portland building with painted white brick walls, large windows, and lots of small props. If you’re a foodie and want to have a food themed session, whether your simply eating together or making a meal, this would be the perfect spot!
- Beast Daylight Studio – This NE Portland studio has a more industrial vibe and is the perfect space if you want to bring in a colorful paper backdrop, or simply capture the cement and warehouse window aesthetic.
- Cream Creative Space – This is a pretty new Portland studio that we have yet to use but can’t wait to try. They have big blank walls, beautiful natural light, rolling stairs, fabrics, a texture wall… so dreamy!
How To Book A Studio Session
Head on over to our Love & Engagement Photography page to learn about our approach to engagement sessions and get some introductory pricing. Then fill out our contact form to let us know you’d like to chat about doing a studio session. If you love the look of one of the studios above just let us know which one, otherwise we’d be happy to chat with you and help you decide which one will be the best fit.